A. Definitions. For the purposes of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
- CONSUMER FIREWORK. Those fireworks defined by A.R.S. § 36-1601.
- DISPLAY FIREWORK. Those fireworks defined by A.R.S. § 36-1601.
- FIREWORKS. Any combustible or explosive composition, substance or combination of substances, or any article prepared for the purpose of producing a visible or audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation, that is a consumer firework, display firework or permissible consumer firework as defined by A.R.S. § 36-1601.
- NOVELTY ITEMS. Items that are known as glow worms, snakes, toy smoke devices, and sparklers.
- PERMISSIBLE CONSUMER FIREWORKS. Those fireworks as defined by A.R.S. § 36-1601 that may be sold within the Town of Cave Creek even where the use of those items has been prohibited.
- SUPERVISED PUBLIC DISPLAY. A monitored performance of display fireworks open to the public and authorized by permit by the Town Fire Chief or designee.
B. Fireworks prohibited; exceptions.
- The use, discharge or ignition of fireworks or novelty items within the town is prohibited except as provided for in this section.
- Nothing in this section or chapter shall be construed to prohibit the occurrence of a supervised public display of fireworks.
- Permits may be granted by the Fire Chief or designee for conducting a property supervised public display of fireworks. Every such public display of fireworks shall be of such character and so located, discharged or fired, only after proper inspection and in a manner that does not endanger persons, animals, or property. A permit shall not be issued, and may be revoked, during time periods of high fire danger warnings. The Fire Chief has authority to impose conditions on any permits issued, including, but not limited to, those requirements contained in A.R.S. Title 36, the Fire Code adopted by the town and any other applicable law.
- Failure to comply with any permit requirements issued by the Fire Chief is a civil code infraction punishable by a civil fine up to $500 for each violation.
C. Sale of fireworks.
- No person shall sell or permit or authorize the sale of permissible consumer fireworks to a person who is under 16 years of age.
- No person shall sell or permit or authorize the sale of permissible consumer fireworks in conflict with state law.
Laws may have changed since the last time this article was updated. The current and most up-to-date laws can be accessed here.