Section 13-3-1 Purpose
The Town Council hereby recognizes that the desert environment of Arizona has unique fire risks and adopts this article law to enhance the public safety and welfare of its citizens and the community by regulating the use and sale of fireworks within the Town.
Section 13-3-2 Definitions
A. The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this article, have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
- Display fireworks means those fireworks defined by Arizona Revised Statutes Section 36-1601.
- Fireworks means display fireworks, consumer fireworks and permissible consumer fireworks as defined by Arizona Revised Statute Section 36-1601.
- Novelty items means federally deregulated novelty items that are known as snappers, snap caps, party poppers, glow worms, snakes, toy smoke devices and sparklers as defined in Arizona Revised Statute 36-1601.
- Permissible consumer fireworks has the same meaning as Arizona Revised Statutes Section 36-1601.
- Supervised show means a monitored performance of display fireworks open to the public authorized by permit by the Town Fire Marshal or designee.
Sec 13-3-3 Fireworks prohibited; exceptions
A. The use of fireworks including permissible consumer fireworks within the Town is prohibited except for the limited use of permissible consumer fireworks during the time frame of June 24th through July 6th and December 24th through January 3rd.
B. The use of permissible consumer fireworks within the Town is prohibited on all publicly owned property which includes, but is not limited to, Town buildings, Town parking lots, public schools and Town streets, unless there is a supervised show of fireworks authorized by permit issued by the Fire Marshal or designee.
C. The use of permissible consumer fireworks within the Town is prohibited within 500 yards of the Mummy Mountain Preserve.
Section 13-3-4 Sale of Fireworks
A. No person shall sell or permit or authorize the sale of permissible consumer fireworks to a person who is under eighteen years of age.
B. No person shall sell or permit or authorize the sale of permissible consumer fireworks in conflict with state law.
C. No person shall sell, resell or manufacture consumer or display fireworks unless authorized by state law or town permit, or otherwise authorized by this article.
D. No person shall sell permissible consumer fireworks to the public except from May 20th through July 6th and December 10th through January 3rd.
E. Violations of this section shall be punishable as provided in Section 1-9-3 of the Town Code.
Laws may have changed since the last time this article was updated. The current and most up-to-date laws can be accessed here.