User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

When you turn 18 you have the right to help decide the future of our nation and your community by voting. To vote you must first register and also be:

  • A citizen of The United States.
  • At least 18 on or before the date of the next regular general election following your registration (26th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)(ARS §16-101).
  • A resident of the state for 29 days immediately before the election.
  • Not convicted of treason or a felony (unless your civil rights have been restored).
  • Able to write your name, unless prevented by physical disability.
  • Not adjudicated as an incapacitated person as defined in Arizona Law (ARS §14-5101).

See the Arizona Constitution Art. 7 §2 and ARS §16-101 for more qualifications about voting in Arizona.


Q: Where do I go to register?

A: You can register at your county’s elections department (ARS §16-112 and §16131).  You may also register with any qualified deputy registrar anywhere (such as a table in a mall or public event), and you can register when applying for a driver’s license or renewal (ARS §16-112). You can also register online at: or using the voter registration form at the center of this brochure.

The Arizona Secretary of State has a voting information page at:


Q: I forgot to register. Can I just show up to vote anyway?

A: No, you cannot vote unless you have properly registered and your name appears in both the general county register and in the precinct register or list of your precinct and election districts (ARS §16122). However, there are some exceptions (ARS §§16-125,135,584).


Q: I filled out in early ballot but then forgot to mail it in can I just vote at the pole?

A: If you forgot to mail back your early ballot in time, you can skip the line and turn it in at any polling location in your county. The polling workers will show you where to drop off your early ballot.


Q: Where do I vote?

A: You may vote at the polling place in the precinct in which you live. The county elections office establishes the polling place for your neighborhood. You may also vote early, by requesting an official early ballot from the county recorder or other officer in charge of the election within 90 days before the Saturday before the election (ARS §§16-541,542). Early ballots are mailed in allowing individuals to vote without going to a polling place.


Q: What do I need to bring to the polls?

A: When you arrive to vote at the polls on Election Day you will provide your name and place of residence to the election official and present one form of identification from the list below. If you do not have one of the items below you can still vote using two forms of alternate identification. The list of alternate identification can be found on the state legislators page under (A.R.S. § 16-579(A)).

Acceptable forms of identification: Arizona driver license, Arizona identification card, Tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification, United States federal, state, or local government issued identification.


Q: If I’m away at college, can I just vote there?

A: Yes, but only if you have registered there. Otherwise you will need to vote “absentee” with an official early ballot for the precinct in which you are registered (ARS §16-543).


QHow can I change my address?

A: You may change your address online at the MVD if you have a state issued I.D., by mail or in person at the County Recorder’s Office.


Laws may have changed since the last time this article was updated.  The current and most up-to-date laws can be accessed here.