Q:Am I on my own when I turn 18?

A: No. There are programs available to you even though you are 18; like the Independent Living Program through the Arizona Department of Child Safety (DCS) which teaches budgeting and credit information and is available to a person up to 21 years old and the Young Adult Transitional Insurance (YATI) which provides health insurance through Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) up until a person is 26.


Q: What rights do I have in the foster care system?

A: A foster care bill of rights lists protected rights and expectations for all people in the system, no matter their age. This list can be found under A.R.S. §8-529 and includes rights like: the ability to go to school, to have knowledge about your case and the ability to speak with a judge among other things.


Q: I don’t have my birth certificate, how do I get one?

A: Your birth certificate, immunization records and other personal information will be given to you within 30 days after leaving foster care. (A.R.S. §8-529(B)(7)) If you are at least 16 you may also receive help getting a driver license, social security card or other personal identification. (A.R.S. §8-529(B)(6))



Laws may have changed since the last time this article was updated.  The current and most up-to-date laws can be accessed here.