The rules of the road will probably be second nature to you by the time you become 18, but there are some changes and more responsibilities.


Q: Do I have a right to get a driver’s license?

A: Driving is not a right — it’s a privilege regulated by the state (ARS §28-3151).


Q: What changes when I become 18?

A: Primarily, your liability. When you become 18, you are legally an adult and you assume liability for your own license, car registration, traffic violations and accidents. It is completely your responsibility to know and follow the rules of the road, whether it’s in Arizona Law, the Arizona Driver’s License Manual, or local city ordinances. You may also change from a graduated driver’s license to an Under 21 driver’s license.


Q: What do I need to do to get a new driver license?

A: Drivers under the age of 18 are initially given a graduated driver license that restricts when the driver may be on the road and who they may drive with. When a person turns 18 this restriction is removed and the adult needs to get a new license. To get a new license go to under driver services and request a duplicate license after you have turned 18. You may use the same process when you turn 21 or if you lose your license.


Q: Do I have to get my own car insurance too?

A: Yes, you must obtain a liability policy that provides at least  $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident for Bodily Injury and $10,000 per accident for Property Damage. (ARS § 28-4009).

You must carry proof of insurance in your vehicle at all times. If you are a student, your parents may continue to have you on their car insurance until you are 24. Otherwise, you will have to get your own insurance (ARS §284135).


Q: What about road rage?

A: Another driver may have cut you off and almost caused an accident ...but you should think twice before taking matters into your own hands. Acts of “road rage” may be a misdemeanor or a felony, resulting not only in the suspension of your driver’s license but a fine or jail sentence as well (ARS §28-695).


Laws may have changed since the last time this article was updated.  The current and most up-to-date laws can be accessed here.