Q: If we haven’t been married long, can we just get an annulment?

AAnnulment is not a matter of how recently you were married. The ground for annulment is that there is a cause that “constitutes an impediment rendering the marriage void” (A.R.S. §25-301). Examples include:

  • Marriage between two close relatives (A.R.S. §25-101)
  • One person was already married when they married the second person
  • One or both people were under age (A.R.S. §25-102)
  • One person lied about themselves
  • One person forced the other to get married
  • One person is unable to able to make decisions because they are medically unable to


Q: What is required to get a divorce?

A: You may need a lawyer to file for divorce (called a “Petition for Dissolution” in Arizona). If you decide to file without a lawyer, you must complete the necessary forms and understand the applicable laws and court procedures. A judge will consider and rule on all issues such as the division of property (A.R.S. §25-318), spousal maintenance (A.R.S. §25-319), child support (A.R.S. §25-320), legal decision-making, and parenting time (A.R.S. §25-403). Forms may be available at your county courthouse, law library, or on AzCourtHelp.org.


Q: What are the grounds for a divorce?

A: Married couples in Arizona can file for divorce (called a “dissolution of marriage” in Arizona’s laws) if the marriage is broken beyond repair and there is no likely chance the couple will get back together. The grounds for divorce are different if the married couple has a covenant marriage. (A.R.S. §25-312).


Q: Can I just let my ex-spouse take care of the kids?

A: During a marriage, after a divorce or legal separation, and even if the parents are unmarried, both have an obligation to provide for the support of all minor children (A.R.S. §25-501). Either spouse or parent may be held liable for necessities furnished to the other or to the minor children. The state, a parent, or a guardian may file a request to establish child support (A.R.S. §25-502). An income assignment may be obtained automatically deducting the amount from your paycheck (A.R.S. §25-504 & A.R.S. §25-505).


Q: What if I am not sure the child is mine?

A: An action to determine paternity can be started by the mother, the potential father, a guardian or conservator of the child, or the state. Paternity actions receive priority over other cases. Blood tests can be required by either party or at the court’s request. If the question isn’t settled, a trial will be held to determine paternity (A.R.S. §25-801 - §25-817).


Q: Don't I have rights as the parent?

AYes, but they are not absolute.  In a proceeding for dissolution of marriage, a court will determine custody according to the best interest of the child, which may sometimes be sole custody with one parent (A.R.S. §25-403.01). The court may also order parenting time to the non-custodial parent unless visitation would seriously endanger the child’s physical, mental, moral, or emotional health (A.R.S. §25-408). With any custody order, the court will determine the amount of child support. Even with joint custody, there is still a responsibility of each parent to provide for the support of the child (A.R.S. §25-403.09). According to A.R.S. §8-533, parental rights can also be terminated by the court when:

  • The parent has abandoned the child
  • The parent has neglected or willfully abused a child
  • The parent is unable to carry out parental responsibilities because of mental illness, mental deficiency, or a history of chronic abuse of drugs or alcohol
  • The parent is deprived of civil liberties due to the conviction of certain felonies
  • A potential father has failed to file a paternity claim or action in certain circumstances


Laws may have changed since the last time this article was updated.  The current and most up-to-date laws can be accessed here.